What They Never Told Me About Blogging | SimplyJessyTee

July 18, 2017 2 Comments A+ a-


Hi guys and welcome back to my blog! Recently getting back into blogging, I’ve realised a few things that before starting this journey I was not quite aware of because nobody TOLD MEH. In this post I wanted to share 5 things that nobody tells you before you start blogging and hopefully to anyone who does not have a blog, it will give you a more personal insight of what goes on behind the scenes. And for those that do have a blog, I hope you find this relatable as I wouldn’t want to be the only one who goes/went through this.

1. You are forced to learn HTML.

This has to be the worst one for me. A quick confession: I HATED designing the template/layout for my blog and vowed I would NEVER do it again. From the widgets, to the favicon and back to the sidebar – it was genuinely an awful experience for me. Things that went wrong would be the end of the world. There was one time I risked deleting everything from my blog when I was designing it. Honestly I would rather buy another template in the future than re-design my blog all by myself, I kid you not. I didn’t mind making the logo, header and icon designs but that was a grain of salt compared to what I did overall. For some they love HTML, for me – just no.

2. Using a camera becomes rocket science

Now, to take the photo – 50/50. Upload the photos – fine. Selecting the right photo to use in a post – great. BUT! To create the layout, to find useful things to take for the blog post itself, to edit the photo using a website (especially when your wifi is slow), to buy another SD card because the one you have won’t format which means on top of that you cannot access the photos on the card - I caaaan’t deal you guys. Its legit the one thing that I was not informed of, legit. For some, this is their favourite part of blogging but for me it's the most tedious and sometimes the most boring part. (I prefer to write.)

3. You’re more socially involved.

Before the blog, I never had an instagram account. My twitter was pretty much inactive, I never perceived Pinterest to be a place to attract potential readers and I didn’t even know that Bloglovin existed. Well now I have an instagram which I really like, I’m more active on my twitter, Pinterest is forever my favourite app and now Bloglovin allows me to read other great blog posts! I'm not the biggest lover of social media at times but due to blogging I've become more involved and when it comes to the blog, I actually enjoy using social medias.

4. You become more passionate

I feel I’ve become more passionate about it. I don’t see it as my career or lifelong dream but I do see me blogging in the long haul as something I like to do on the side and possibly going further in terms of going self-hosted and even investing more into it. But we'll see!

5. You either make it easier or harder for yourself.

One thing that I was told before blogging was that it is hard work and requires a lot of time, effort and other essential stuff. I shrugged that off and did it anyway because I didn’t want to be bored in summer 2k16.
In the beginning, it was hard for me because I put so much pressure and expectation on something that had been live for about 2-4 months which is hardly anything compared to those that have been doing it for 4-6 years. But as I had to weigh my priorities, I’ve realised, blogging is what you make it. If you can post 10 times a week, promote everything on everything along with taking a million perfect photos. Then you know what? Kudos to you and those that can do it because you make it look easy and amazing. But for me personally, doing that is begging for a breakdown. So instead, if I can’t do it, then I won’t do it. If I can, then I will.
At the end of the day, blogging is about being realistic and doing it because you're passionate about it and have a lot to bring to the table. You are in complete control so I would say that nobody told me that I don't need to pressure myself because I won't lie. Some bloggers make it seem like you have to love EVERY single second of blogging. And that's just not the case for me when I feel pressured to be perfect at it. One day at a time *claps, bows, and struts off her imaginary stage*

But that’s about it guys, This is one of those posts where I’m going to be annoyed later because I’ll feel like I’ve missed something out but it’s all good. Thank you all so much for reading and I hope you have a restful day. God bless x
“If it’s meant to be, it will happen. If not then God will provide something better” – from a friend of mine.
Image source: Pexels

Simply, Jessy Tee



2 comments

Write comments
IndieAna
AUTHOR
18 July 2017 at 21:03 delete

Great post, I agree with all points. I find the process of taking photos can be so time consuming. I'm still trying to take better, more eye catching pics, lol xx

Indie// In Search of the Holy Grail

Reply
avatar
Jessy Tee
AUTHOR
22 July 2017 at 14:15 delete

Thanks IndieAna for reading <3
It isn't the easiest of hobbies but it's definitely worth it I feel in the end! Plus I can never say photography is the easiest thing ever.

Jessy x

Reply
avatar